Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Burlington, (VT) Vermont
Learn More About our Experienced Medical Malpractice Lawyers and Attorneys at Shoup, Evers & Green
Most of the time, our hospitals, doctors and other medical professionals give us all skilled and exemplary care. But, sometimes, otherwise skilled and dedicated medical professionals make avoidable mistakes. The consequences of these medical mistakes can be devastating to a patient and their families.
When a medical professional makes an avoidable mistake that causes a patient serious injury or death, Vermont law gives the patient and/or their family the right to file a medical malpractice claim and collect compensation. In order to prevail in a medical malpractice claim in Vermont, a plaintiff must prove both that the medical professional was negligent and that the plaintiff suffered injuries as a result of the negligence.
When considering whether to pursue a medical malpractice claim, you must be aware that there is a time limit in which to file a claim. While most medical malpractice claims in Vermont must be filed within three years from the date of the negligent act, there are some significant exceptions to this time limit so a consultation with a malpractice attorney should be sought as soon as possible.
Medical malpractice claims are usually complicated and require experienced attorneys. At SEG, our medical malpractice team includes a registered nurse-attorney with a broad range of experience in litigating these challenging cases. We have litigated scores of medical malpractice cases including those cases involving:
- Birth Injury
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal Cord Injury/Paralysis
- Compartment Syndrome
- Wrongful Death
- Emergency Room Negligence
- Surgical Negligence
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Radiology Negligence
- Medication Errors
- Misdiagnosis/Failure to Diagnose
- Sexual Abuse Perpetrated by a Physician
Some of our verdicts and settlements include:
- Verdict for an Olympic-hopeful skier who suffered an undiagnosed compartment syndrome following a broken leg
- Settlement during trial for the wrongful death of a father due to undiagnosed heart disease
- Arbitration awards for scores of women who suffered infertility and sometimes death from a defective IUD
- Settlement for a teen-aged girl who was made infertile and menopausal when her surgeon wrongly removed both of her ovaries
- Settlement for a young father who suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm when a radiologist misread his MRI, leaving him unable to communicate with his family, unable to walk and requiring total nursing care for the rest of his life
- Settlement for a woman who was paralyzed during spinal surgery. This settlement enabled her to leave the rehabilitation center where she had been confined to bed since her surgery and go home to live with her family, receiving 24 hour professional nursing care
- Settlements for several young woman who were sexually abused by their surgeon
If you or a family member have been a victim of medical malpractice, call us. There is no fee for us to investigate your case. If we agree to handle your case, we work on a contingency fee basis and only get paid if you are awarded money. Our experienced attorneys can offer an honest and straight-forward evaluation of your case.